i

Member Login

search by:
 Google  |  VisitMyPhilippines 
     
 
Home >> Go to the Regions >> Region III Central Luzon >> Tourist Attractions >> Bulacan >> Churches     

Churches

Barasoain Church (Our Lady of Mt. Carmel Parish)
Malolos City, Bulacan
From 1871 - 1978, a stone church was constructed to replace an earlier one made of wood, but an earthquake in 1880 ruined the church. Beginning 1885, the Augustinian Jian Giron contracted the services of a builder known only as Magpayo, who rebuilt the church from its foundations using variations of a circular motif. Proclaimed by the President of the Revolutionary Government, Emilio Aguinaldo, the church became the seat of the short-lived Philippine Republic and site of the first constitutional convention which convened with much fanfare from September 15, 1898 to the last week of February 1899 under the presidency of Pedro A. Paterno. The Assembly approved and ratified the Malolos Constitution on January 23, 1899 as drafted chiefly by Felipe G. Calderon. President Aguinaldo took his oath of office at the Barasoain Church the same day historically known as the birth of the First Philippine Republic. It was restored to its original splendor for the Philippine Centennial celebration in 1998. Also featured are the NHI Barasoain Light and Sound Museum and Ecclesiastical Museum. President Joseph Estrada took his oath of office in the same church on June 30, 1998. It earned the title Cradle of Democracy in the East and the site of the First Philippine Republic. It was declared a national landmark on August 1, 1973, when President Ferdinand E. Marcos signed Presidential Decree No. 260. It provides that its "preservation, restoration and/or reconstruction shall be under the supervision and control of the National Historical Commission (Institute) in collaboration with the Department of Tourism.

Church of Hagonoy
Hagonoy, Bulacan
Church of Hagonoy (Bulacan) - Originally a chapel under the parish of Calumpit, it became a church in 1731 with Fr. Juan Albarran, an Augustinian as the first curate. It was rebuilt in 1871 by Fr. Ignacio Manzanares. The church was taken over by the Filipino clergy in 1896 with Fr. Clemente Garcia as the first Filipino curate. He was succeeded by Fr. Dr. Mariono Sevilla from 1902-1922, Fr. Exequiel Morales, 1922-1936. Fr. Celestino Rodriguez, curate since 1936 improved the church assisted by the Congregation of the Religiosas de la Virgen Maria (R.V.M.)

Church of Meycauayan
Meycauayan, Bulacan
Church of Meycuayan (Bulacan) - The first church was destroyed by a typhoon in 1588. The construction of the present church was started shortly after 1668 when the town was moved from Lagado to the present site. Reverend Francisco Gasuena, OFM, who built the belfry in 1800, preached the gospel in China for six years, and was expelled from that kingdom due to opposition to his religious teachings. He served this parish for 31 years and died here on Nov. 18, 1831. The convent and church were seriously damaged by the typhoon of 1882.

Church of Quingua
Plaridel, Bulacan
Church of Quingua (Plaridel, Bulacan) - This was the first church built in this old town by the Augustinian mission from 1580-1595. It was transferred to the town proper in 1605. The church was improved in 1722. The first Filipino parish priest Rev. P. Victorino Lopez joined the revolutionary movement as a leader under the command of Kapitan Jose Serapio. The convent was made the American headquarters in 1898.

Malolos Cathedral
Malolos City, Bulacan
Malolos Cathedral became the presidential headquarters of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo in 1898.

Marilao Catholic Church
Marilao, Bulacan
Church of Marilao (Bulacan) - Originally a chapel, Fr. Vicente de Talavera erected the first church on 21 April 1796 simultaneously with the founding of the town and parish of Marilao. St. Michael the Archangel was enthroned patron saint. A bigger church was constructed in 1848 and was finished in 1868. It was gutted by fire during the Fil-American War. The church was reconstructed to its original size in 1922. Restoration was fully done in 1967 under the supervision of Fr. Jose M. Salas.

Obando Church
Obando, Bulacan
Church of Obando (Bulacan) - The church of Obando was built by the Franciscan Order headed by Rev. P. Manuel de Olivencia, the first curate of Obando on 29 April 1754. The second church was destroyed by heavy shelling during the 1945 liberation. It was rebuilt for 2 years through the help of parishioners under Rev. P. Marcos C. Punzol. Obando town fiesta is celebrated every 17th - 19th of May in honor of San Pascual Baylon, Santa Clara de Asis, patroness of fishermen & farmers, and La Concepcion de Nuestra or known as Virgen de Salambao. This church is the venue of the famous fertility dance - a three-day dancing where childless couples appeal for heavenly intercession to the Virgin Mary

San Miguel Catholic Church
San Miguel, Bulacan
More than 200 years old; built by the Augustinian friars

San Rafael Catholic Church
San Rafael, Bulacan
Site of the bloody battle between the Filipinos and the Spanish forces wherein the blood that drenched the church was ankle-deep.

St. John the Baptist Church
Calumpit, Bulacan
Built in 1572, the St. John the Baptist Church is the oldest church in Bulacan. Constructed under the supervision of Augustinian priest Diego Vivar - Ordonez, the church has been a mute witness to the Filipinos' struggle against Spanish, American and Japanese rule. Inside the church is a tunnel that, as legend would have it, was used by priests during the Spanish regime to keep gold, religious statues and ornate jewelry hidden from the sight of treasure hunters. It is the birthplace of Christianity in the province.

Sta. Maria Church
Sta. Maria, Bulacan
Church of Sta Maria (Bulacan) - The town of Sta Maria de Caboan was founded in 1602 and called San Miguel till 1613. Its first minister was the Rev. Antonio de la Llane. A church, built in 1613 by the Rev. Gerocino Vasquez, was destroyed during the Chinese uprising of 1639. Another church completed in 1669, succumbed to earthquakes in 1880. In 1891, the Rev. Leopaldo Arellano reerected the church but it was destroyed again by the earthquake of August 20, 1937.





 

Viewing 1 - 1 of 1  
 [1] 

Announcement

CloseNo events foundsss.