The City of San Fernando, (Kapampangan: Lakanbalen ning San Fernando/Siudad ning San Fernando; Filipino: Lungsod ng San Fernando) is a 2nd class city in the province of Pampanga, Philippines. It is the capital city of Pampanga and the regional capital of Central Luzon (Region III). The city is well known for its giant lanterns and it is also popularly known as the "Christmas Capital of the Philippines." In fact, an annual Giant Lantern Festival is held every December in the city.
According to the 2000 census, it has a population of 221,857 people in 43,649 households. It is located 67 kilometers north of Manila, 50 kilometers east of Subic Bay in Zambales province, and 16 kilometers south of Clark Field in Angeles City. The city is positioned at the crossroads of Central Luzon. The city is named after Fernando VI and placed under the patronage of San Fernando III, King of Castile and Leon in Spain, whose feast is celebrated on May 30.
The town of San Fernando was created in 1754 from the towns of Bacolor and Mexico. The first church was built in 1755 with wooden walls and nipa roofing. Later in the year, the municipal tribunal was erected in front of the plaza using durable materials and thatched nipa roofing. Don Vidal de Arrozal served as its first gobernadorcillo that year.
In 1796, after serving as gobernadorcillo the previous year, Don Angel Pantaleon de Miranda retires to Barrio Saguin, from where he starts setting up his hacienda in Barrio Culiat. The barrio is separated from San Fernando on the December 8, 1829 as the new town of Angeles, with the Los Santos Angeles Custodios as titular patrons.
An expediente requesting the transfer of the provincial capital of Pampanga to San Fernando is signed on the August 6, 1852. Real Cedula 745 approving the transfer of the provincial capital of Pampanga from Bacolor to San Fernando is signed on the September 11, 1881. The said transfer would not materialize.
In 1878, moves were made to create the town of Calulut. This new town would be composed of Calulut and the neighboring barrios of Bulaun, Malpitic, Sindalan, La Paz, Lara, Saguin, Telabastagan, Balete, Malinao, Pulung Bulu, Panipuan, Macabacle and the caserio of Pau in San Fernando, and Panipuan, Acle, Suclaban and the sitio of Gandus in Mexico. This plan did not materialize due to strong opposition from the parish priest of San Fernando.
Governor-General Eulogio Despujol and Manila Archbishop Bernardino Nozaleda inaugurate the San Fernando railroad station on February 23, 1892 together with the Bagbag-Mabalacat stretch of the Manila-Dagupan Railroad. The station ranked second to Manila in revenues that year, and thus was the most important provincial station of the Manila-Dagupan Railroad. In the same year, national Hero Dr. Jose P. Rizal stops over in the town on June 27 as part of his mission to recruit members to the La Liga Filipina.
On September 1, 1896 the town is declared in a state of war despite the peaceful situation. Brigadier General Diego de los Rios arrives in the town on December 2 to calm the revolution that started in Manila on August 30. General Ruiz Serralde takes over the post of General Rios on June 26, 1897 to maintain the peace in San Fernando. The revolution was not yet at its height with occasional exchanges of fire in some places in Pampanga.
On June 26, 1898 representatives from all Pampanga towns, except Macabebe, gather in San Fernando to swear allegiance to Gen. Maximino Hizon who was the provincial military governor and representative of General Emilio Aguinaldo. On October 9, General Emilio Aguinaldo together with his cabinet visits the town and was welcomed with so much applause and enthusiastic cheering from the public. He proceeded to the convento which was serving as the military headquarters at that time.
Philippine Revolutionary troops led by General Antonio Luna burn the casa municipal, the town church and several houses on May 4, 1899 to render them useless to the approaching American forces. On June 16, due to the strategic location of the town, President Aguinaldo himself leads Filipino forces in the Battle for San Fernando. The plan to retake the town proved unsuccessful. Calulut falls to American forces on August 9.
By virtue of Act No. 1204 signed on July 22, 1904 the Pampanga provincial government is finally transferred to San Fernando from Bacolor on 15 August. This is done during the term of Governor Macario Arnedo and Municipal President Juan Sengson. The town of Minalin became part of San Fernando the same year. It will later regain its political independence in 1909. The town of Santo Tomas is consolidated with San Fernando on January 2, 1905 by virtue of Act 1208, after the officials take their oath.
US Secretary of War William H. Taft visits the town on August 12, 1904 to get first hand information and gather ideas for the governance of Pampanga. Due to the short notice, a bamboo pavilion was hastily constructed for his visit where he was welcomed with a banquet for 200 people. Taft would later be elected President of the United States.
The Pampanga Sugar Development Corporation (PASUDECO) sugar central begins operations in 1921. The company was formed in 1918 by large-scale planters such as Jose de Leon, Augusto Gonzales, Francisco Liongson, Tomas Lazatin, Tomas Consunji, Francisco Hizon, Jose Henson, and Manuel Urquico in the San Fernando residence of Governor Honorio Ventura as part of a plan to construct a locally financed central.
The Socialist Party of the Philippines is founded by Pedro Abad Santos in 1932. Two years later, he creates and heads the Aguman Ding Madlang Talapagobra (AMT). The Abad Santos compound in Barangay San Jose becomes the focal point of the peasant movement.
President Manuel L. Quezon proclaims his social justice program on February 14, 1939 before a gathering of farmers in front of the Municipal Government building.
In 1941, forces of the Japanese Imperial Army occupy the town and place the municipal government under its supervision. The next year, thousands of Filipino and American POWs walk from Bataan to the San Fernando Train Station in what will be know as the Bataan Death March.
In 1952, the town of Santo Tomas is separated from San Fernando.
Mayor Paterno Guevarra is sworn in as officer-in-charge of the town following the successful People Power Revolution in 1986 that topples the Marcos dictatorship. He is later elected municipal mayor.
President Corazon C. Aquino inaugurates Paskuhan Village in 1990, the first Christmas village in Asia and the third of its kind in the world. The next year, Mount Pinatubo erupts after over 600 years of dormancy hurling a layer of ash and volcanic debris on the town.
Typhoon Mameng strikes on October 1, 1995 unleashing floodwaters and mudflows from Mount Pinatubo into the town. The Barangays of Sto. Nino, San Juan, San Pedro Cutud and Magliman are severely damaged by lahar. The citizens of San Fernando rally to save the town by raising funds to build the St. Ferdinand People's Dike. The Megadike is constructed the next year, thus preventing further damage to the town.
1755 Vidal de Arrozal
1756 Tiburcio Cunanan
1757 Vidal de Arrozal
1758 Luis Catacutan
1759 Juan David
1760 Juan Yutuc
1761 Domingo de Vera
1762 Nicolas Capati
1763 Tomas Aquino
1764 Miguel de los Angeles
1765 Agustin Dizon
1766 Manuel Manaloto
1767 Francisco Bautista
1768 Miguel David
1769 Nicolas Dizon
1770 Mariano Singian de Miranda
1771 Mateo David
1772 Bernardo de Anunciacion
1773 Francisco David
1774 Agapito Singian
1775 Vicente Concepcion
1776 Eugenio Yutuc
1777 Juan Lingat
1778 Juan Lacson
1779 Vicente Concepcion
1780 Jose de Arrozal
1781 Nicolas Tuason
1782 Carlos Catacutan
1783 Vicente David
1784 Lucas David
1785 Antonio Alonso del Rosario
1786 Regino de Castro
1787 Sebastian Manarang
1788 Bernabe Pamintuan
1789 Juan Dizon
1790 Manuel Miranda
1791 Vicente Dayrit
1792 Nicolas Tuason
1793 Jose de los Angeles
1794 Vicente Quizon
1795 Angel Pantaleon de Miranda
1796 Vicente Dayrit
1797 Jose Cunanan
1798 Juan Lacson
1799 Carlos Catacutan
1800 Vicente Dizon
1801 Jose Ocson
1802 Agustin David Lising
1803 Jose Concepcion
1804 Raymundo David
1805 Ignacio David de Miranda
1806 Severino Henson
1807 Juan Crisostomo Paras
1808 Domingo Henson
1809 Leon de Vera
1810 Vicente de Castro
1811 Gregorio Singian
1812 Ignacio de Miranda
1813 Miguel Catacutan
1814 Francisco Pamintuan
1815 Severino Henson
1816 Agustin David Lising
1817 Bernardo David
1818 Bernardo Tinio
1819 Eriberto Yutuc
1820 Vicente de Castro
1821 Vicente Dizon
1822 Pablo de Ocampo
1823 Maximo Dizon
1824 Ciriaco Dizon
1825 Vicente Dizon
1826 Manuel Pasion Henson
1827 Anacleto del Rosario
1828 Vicente David Lising
1829 Vicente Dizon
1830 Pablo Ocampo
1831 Doroteo Dizon
1832 Mariano Yutuc
1833 Manuel Pasion Henson
1834 Gregorio Tuason
1835 Blas Borja
1836 Doroteo Dizon
1837 Agustin Pamintuan
1838 Agustin Cuyugan
1839 Juan Dayrit
1840 Raymundo David
1841 Macario Yutuc
1842 Matias Quiason
1843 Pedro Lacsamana
1844 Bernardino Singian de Miranda
1845 Serapio Singian de Miranda
1846 Mariano Arceo
1847 Agustin Cuyugan
1848 Guillermo Henson
1849 Bernardino Singian de Miranda
1850 Agustin Pamintuan
1851 Gregorio David
1852 Maximo Feliciano
1853-1854 Paulino Paras
1854-1855 Agustin Lacson
1855-1856 Simon Henson
1856-1857 Cosme Lacson
1857-1858 Candido Froilan Dizon
1858-1859 Florentino Dayrit
1859 Manuel Pasion Henson
1859 Jose Navarro (accidental)
1860 Victor David
1860-1861 Manuel de Ocampo
1861-1862 Bernardino Singian de Miranda
1862-1863 Guillermo Henson
1863-1864 Aniceto Yusi
1864-1865 Simon Henson
1865-1866 Juan Quiason
1867-1868 Julian Buison
1868-1869 Benigno de Ocampo
1869-1870 Isidro Teopaco
1870-1871 Domiciano Tison
1871-1872 Florentino Dayrit
1872-1873 Eustaquio Ricafort
1873-1874 Pedro Paras y Castro
1874-1875 Bernardino Singian de Miranda
1875-1876 Julian Buison
1877-1879 Anacleto Hizon
1879-1880 Catalino Henson
1880-1881 Mariano Custodio
1881-1882 Saturnino Henson
1882-1883 Florentino Dayrit
1883 Pedro Paras
1884-1885 Domiciano Tison
1885 Francisco X. Panlilio
1886-1887 Anacleto Hizon
1887-1889 Teodoro Limjuco
1889-1890 Gregorio Tioleco
1891-1892 Antonio E. Consunji
1893-1894 Juan Sengson
1895 Teodoro Limjuco
1896 Saturnino Henson
1897 Celso Dayrit (accidental
1898 Antonio E. Consunji
1899 Enrique Kerr
1900 Carlos Kerr
1900 Teodoro Limjuco
1900-1901 Francisco S. Hizon
1901 Francisco S. Hizon
1902-1903 Mariano J. Leon Santos
1904 Juan Sengson
1905-1906 Eulalio Castro
1906-1907 Vicente Tiomico
1908-1909 Pedro Teopaco
1910-1912 Clemente Ocampo
1916-1921 Antonio B. Abad Santos
1922-1927 Jose M. Valencia
1928-1931 Antonio B. Abad Santos
1932-1934 Jose M. Valencia
1934-1937 Urbano D. Dizon
1938-1942 Vivencio B. Cuyugan
1945 Vivencio B. Cuyugan
1942-1945 Rodolfo P. Hizon
REPUBLIC OF THE PHILIPPINES
1946-1955 Rodolfo P. Hizon
1955 Mariano P. Castro, Sr.
1956-1959 Dr. Miguel G. Baluyut
1960-1967 Dr. Jose C. Quiwa
1967-1969 Levi Panlilio
1969-1971 Atty. Virgilio L. Sanchez
1971 Luis Gopiao
1972-1980 Armando P. Biliwang
1980-1982 Col. Amante S. Bueno (OIC)
1982-1983 Atty. Vicente A. Macalino (OIC)
1983-1986 Atty. Virgilio L. Sanchez
1986-1987 Atty. Paterno S. Guevara(Appointed)
1987-1988 Dr. Rodolfo P. Canlas (Appointed)
1988-1995 Atty. Paterno S. Guevara
1995-2001 Dr. Jesus Reynaldo B. Aquino
2001-2004 Dr. Jesus Reynaldo B. Aquino
2004-Present Atty. Oscar S. Rodriguez
Mayor Rey B. Aquino and Senator Gloria Macapagal-Arroyo launch the campaign for cityhood on January 6, 1997. On April 27, Rep. Oscar Rodriguez files House Bill No. 9267 creating the City of San Fernando. In 2000, House Speaker Arnulfo Fuentebella and Senate President Aquilino Q. Pimintel signed the approved city charter of San Fernando on December 4 and 13 respectively.
The town officially became a component city on February 4, 2001 following the ratification of Republic Act 8990 authored by Rep. Oscar Rodriguez in a plebiscite from the previous day. Dr. Rey B. Aquino becomes the city's first mayor. The ratification of Republic Act 8990 made the City of San Fernando the 99th city of the Republic of the Philippines.asa
The City of San Fernando is politically subdivided into 35 barangays.
Dela Paz Norte
Dela Paz Sur
Santo Rosario (Pob.)
Strategically located at the heart of the province, the City of San Fernando is home to two public markets, thirty nine banks, forty eight lending institutions (investors), thirty eight pawnshops, seventeen gasoline stations, three movie houses, thirty nine public and private schools, seven hospitals, thirteen dental offices, nine hotels, twenty eight drug stores, seven disco clubs, six foreign exchange firms, fifteen garment factories, twenty four groceries, seven supermarkets, forty two insurance companies, sixteen security agencies and seventy restaurants and fast food chains such as Jollibee, McDonald's, Mr. Donut, Greenwich, Shakey’s, and Chowking. In addition to being the Provincial Capital of Pampanga, almost all Philippine banking institutions, military and governmental agencies have regional offices in San Fernando. 
San Fernando serves as one of the agricultural processing center of Central Luzon. It is a major rice-producing region and an important sugar-producing area. The Pampanga Sugar Development Company (PASUDECO), was once the largest private employer in Pampanga. It is a major sugar processing plant in the region. Other manufacturing companies with offices in the city include Universal Robina Corporation, Zuellig Pharma Corporation, Nestle Philippines, Petrophil, Mondragon Industries, Asia Brewery, and Del Monte Corporation. Major bottling companies such as the San Miguel Corporation Complex, Coca-Cola, Pepsi Cola and Cosmos are located within the city.
Every year during the Christmas season, the city becomes the hub of a thriving industry centered on handcrafted lanterns called parols. What distinguish the San Fernando lantern from the ordinary parol are the intricate designs and the illusion of dancing lights, which focuses on the vibrant colors of the lantern.
The City of San Fernando has two TV stations - KTV Channel 12 and Infomax Channel 8. There are also two radio stations, the 5 Kilowatt DWRW 95.1 FM of the Radio World Broadcasting Corporation of the Philippines and the 2.5 kilowatt DWCL 92.7 FM of the Love Radio Network. Four local newspapers are published in the city which includes The Probe, Coffee Punch, Pampanga Times and the Observer. 
The tourism industry of the city is fueled by two major events, the annual Good Friday Lenten rites in San Pedro Cutud and the Giant Lantern Festival in December. Both events draw thousands of tourists from around the country and the world.
Colleges and universities
The University of the Philippines Extension Program in San Fernando (formerly located at Capitol Boulevard, Sto. Nino, San Fernando). The institution can now be found in Clark Field, Angeles City. The former site was devastated by lahar during the Mt. Pinatubo eruption.
University of the Assumption, the first and only Catholic Archdiocesan University in the Philippines and in Asia.
East Central Colleges, formerly the Toledano Vocational School of San Fernando, was established by the late Ciriaco Toledano in the 1940s. The first establishment was located at the B. Mendoza street and later, another branch was built in Mexico to house the high school students. As of today, East Central Colleges has two branches. One near the Iglesia ni Cristo for college students and one in Mexico, Pampanga for the high school students. The two are being managed and administered by the children of Ciriaco Toledano.
Data College, Formerly known as RM DATA CENTER Located at Capitol Blvd, Sto Nino City of San Fernando Pampanga.
Mother of Good Counsel Seminary
Systems Plus Computer College
St. Scholastica's Academy
San Lorenzo Ruiz Center of Studies and Schools
Assumption High School (University of the Assumption)
Pampanga High School
Sindalan High School
Festivals and Local Events
January 31 - Pedro Abad Santos Day
February 4 - Cityhood Anniversary
Good Friday - San Pedro Cutud Lenten Rites
May 7 - Jose Abad Santos Day
First Saturday of May - El Circulo Fernandino
May 30 - San Fernando Town Fiesta
September 10 - San Fernando Women's Day
First Week of October - Piestang Tugak San Fernando Frog Festival
First Week of December - Sinukwan Festival
December 11 - Aldo ning Kapampangan
Saturday before Christmas Eve - Giant Lantern Festival
Places of interest
WOW Philippines Hilaga
Formerly known as the Paskuhan Village.
Located at the mouth of the San Fernando Toll Exit along the North Luzon Expressway, North Philippines Hilaga was transformed into a cultural, historical, tourism, trade, and entertainment village by former Secretary Richard J. Gordon in 2003. Its design and concept make it a virtual window to the cultural and historical heritage of the four regions of the North Philippines as well as a showcase for their indigenous products, and arts and crafts. The star-shaped pavilions at the center pays tribute to the skilled lantern makers of San Fernando, Pampanga which produces the biggest lanterns in the world. The complex features a 1,000-seat capacity air-conditioned pavilion for conventions and special events, an open-air ampitheater for outdoor activities, air-conditioned exhibit halls, trade booths, garden restos and an 60-seat capacity conference hall.
Archdiocesian Museum and Archives
The Archdiocesian Museum and Archives at the University of the Assumption houses antiques and exquisite works of art depicting Pampanga’s rich cultural heritage. It contains numerous ecclesiastical artifacts ranging from a huge churchbell to paintings; ivory and wooden statues of all shapes and sizes, vestments worn by priests during Mass and chalices, monstrances, reliquaries and ciboriums made of gold, silver and precious gems, some dating back to the 17th century.
The City of San Fernando Heritage District
The City of San Fernando Heritage District covers the historic core of San Fernando, including Barangay Santo Rosario and parts of Barangays San Jose (Panlumacan), Santa Teresita (Baritan), Lourdes (Teopaco), Del Pilar, Santa Lucia and Santo Niño. These important sites are broken down under Heritage Houses, Historic Government Buildings, Schools, and Hospitals, and Historic Industrial Structures and Sites
Churches and other Religious Structures
Cathedral of San Fernando - is the seat of the Archdiocese of San Fernando, Pampanga. It is presently known as the Metropolitan Cathedral.
In 1755 the first structure of wood and thatch were built on this site by the Agustinian friars under the patronage of San Fernando III, King of Castile. Fray Sebastian Moreno, O.S.A. was its first cura parroco. On October 17, 1757, townsfolk petitioned the governor-general for exemptions from tribute to enable them to build the church and convent. It was transferred to the care of secular priests in 1788. The construction of the present church started during the same year under the supervision Fr. Manuel Canlas, its first secular cura parroco, and a committee composed of the principales of the town led by then gobernadorcillo Bernabe Pamintuan. Construction was completed in 1808. The church was rededicated to the Assumption of Our Lady.
President Emilio F. Aguinaldo and his cabinet viewed the Philippine Revolutionary Army from the windows of the convento on October 9, 1898. The church and convento were burned by the Philippine Revolutionary Army on orders of Gen. Antonio Luna, on May 4, 1899. It was again destroyed by fire in 1939, and later restored by architect Fernando H. Ocampo.
In 1948 the church was elevated to Cathedral when it became the seat of the Diocese of San Fernando, canonically created by Pope Pius XII. Later in 1975, the diocese was elevated by Pope Paul VI, to Archdiocese of San Fernando. Its first bishop was Monsignor Cesar Ma. Guerrero, D.D. He was followed by the Most Reverend Emilio A. Cinense, D.D., who became its first archbishop. He was succeeded by the Most Reverend Oscar V. Cruz, D.D. in 1978. The third and current archbishop of San Fernando is the Most Reverend Paciano B. Aniceto, D.D. 
Church of San Vicente Ferrer (Barangay Calulut) – heavily damaged by renovations
The Parish of San Vicente Ferrer with its center in Brgy. Calulut was established in 1914. Originally, it encompassed 28 barangays from as far as Anao in Mexico to the east, Dolores to the south, Telabastagan to the north and a number of villages of San Fernando on the west side along what is now known as McArthur Highway.
At the time of its canonical erection in 1914, the parish was under the jurisdiction of the Archdiocese of Manila. However, the growing number of the faithful led to the establishment of more parishes that were established by Archbishop Miguel O’Doherty. These were St. Joseph Parish in Brgy. Malino, Mexico in 1941 and Our Lady of Remedies Parish in Brgy. Baliti in 1943, leaving eight barangays under the parish. This was further whittled down to six barangays with the erection of St. Augustine Parish in 1965. The remaining barangays were Calulut (parish center), Sindalan, Dela Paz, Bulaon, San Rafael and Malpitic.
The eruption of Mt. Pinatubo in 1991 and its aftermath affected the boundaries of the parish. A sizeable resettlement community was established in Brgy. Bulaon, prompting the creation of the Personal Parish of the Good Shepherd in 1995. In 1996, the Lord’s Ascension Parish was established in Dela Paz Sur, which included the western part of Sindalan. At present, there is a move by the residents of Brgys. San Rafael, Malpitic and Bulaon to join the Parish of the Good Shepherd. If this move is realized, the present parish boundaries will further shrink to include only the whole of Brgy. Calulut and the eastern portion of Brgy. Sindalan.
Most of the parishioners then were tenants and farm workers who toiled in the sugarcane fields. Others relied on small farming lots for their income. With the land reform program of the government in the 1970s, many tenants became small landowners. The construction of farm-to-market roads in the same period also facilitated the marketing of their products. However, during the economic crunch of the 1980s, the lots were eventually sold and transformed into fishponds (cultured fish farms) and poultry farms, with financing from big food processing companies. Other areas were converted into residential and industrial areas as well as memorial parks.
The shift in land use resulted in a significant change in the residents’ means of livelihood. A huge number are now employed in manufacturing firms and commercial establishments. There are professionals working in hospitals, schools and government offices. Some have become small-scale entrepreneurs with businesses ranging from hardware to sari-sari stores.
San Vicente Ferrer’s feast day falls on the 5th of April. In the past, it was customary to bring the images of all village patron saints to the parish church during the patronal fiesta and the Christmas nine-day Misa de Gallo. Most parishioners hiked from their village of origin; those who could affordtook the gareta and calesa. These events were well-attended social and ecclesiastical affairs.
Aside from the patronal fiesta, another major parish feast is the “Fiestang Corazon” (Feast of the Sacred Heart of Jesus) on the 3rd Saturday of October. According to tradition, the harvest season was the reason why the feast is celebrated in thanksgiving on October instead of June, which is the feast’s liturgical month. Unknown to many, the parishioners were on the right liturgical track. Research shows that, in pre-Vatican II times, the original feast of the Sacred Heart fell on the Sunday before the feast of Christ the King, which is celebrated at the end of October.
The First parish priest was Fr. Pedro Paulo S. Santos (1914-1917). He was later to become the Archbishop of Nueva Caceres in Bicol. The first church edifice was constructed through his efforts, with the facade personally designed by him.
Fr. Casto Ocampo (1917-1919) was from the town of Sta. Rita in Pampanga. He promoted the devotion to the Sacred Heart of Jesus through the Cofradia del Sagrado Corazon de Jesus, and to him is attributed the annual celebration of Fiestang Corazon. He was followed by Rev. Fr. Felipe Romero (1919-1924) and Fr. Jacinto Vergara (1924-1930). The latter is still remembered for the ritual of “Tenieblas”* during the evening of Holy Wednesday before the Holy Mass.
Between 1930 and 1932, Fr. Artemio Pascual took charge of the parish. His brief tenure (due to ill health) is still remembered for bringing back many Aglipayans in Brgy. San Rafael to the Catholic faith. Fr. Pascual was succeeded by Fr. Getulio Inggal (1932-1937), whose term was marked by his struggle with the Socialist Party in church affairs. Fr. Lazaro Pineda (1937-1942) renovated the parish rectory. He was followed by Fr. Melencio Garcia (1942-1949), Fr. Pedro Capati (1949-1950) and Fr. Restituto Canda (1950-1951).
The parish priest who served longest was Msgr. Odon T. Santos (1951-1967). He is best remembered for his dream of transforming Calulut into a “city.” He renovated the chalet-style rectory into a two-storey building. He also built a permanent stage on the church patio and installed the image of the Sacred Heart of Jesus in front of the church. It was during his time that many mandated organizations were organized.
Msgr. Aquilino D. Ordonez (1967-1976) made his mark on the parish for two things: his passion for spiritual renewal and his concern for the economic development of the parishioners. The first was done through the Cursillo which became popular as a Christian renewal movement. He allowed the use of the rectory as a Cursillo House where hundreds of parishioners went through a “reconversion.” The second was achieved through vocational classes such as dressmaking and electronics, farm demonstrations, animal husbandry, home gardening, piggery and poultry-raising. He also introduced the Samahang Nayon and the Green Revolution program to the farmers. All these were achieved with the assistance of various government agencies.
One parish priest whose memory is still very alive in the parish was Msgr. Gregorio L. Canlas (1976-1984). Fresh from his travels abroad, Msgr. Canlas introduced innovations and promoted active lay participation in liturgical celebrations. His stay in the parish was marked in what is now known as “The Golden Age of Kapampangan Liturgical Music.” His musical talents produced many liturgical songs that are still very popular today.
Msgr. Canlas encouraged Scripture reading and reflection by organizing bible study and bible sharing groups. With the help of the Daughters of Charity, he promoted the Visita Domicilliaria, in which neighborhood families were organized into groups of thirty. The main feature of the "Visita" was the one-day visit of the image of the Miraculous Medal of the Virgin Mary to each member-family. In addition, each of the four "puroks of Calulut" were organized into a "Coro", identified by a Marian title. Thus, Patad/Mabalas became known as “Fatima”, Centro was “Lourdes”, the New Barrio was called “Del Carmen”, and Pau was known as “Virgen de los Remedios”. Once a month, Msgr. Canlas would visit each "Coro" to celebrate the Holy Eucharist. In hindsight, it can be said that the experience was the parish’s precursor to building small ecclesiastical communities. Msgr. Canlas also emphasized catechetical instruction for the young, by professionally training and organizing volunteer catechists. He made catechism classes a requirement in all elementary schools and and in the High school's of Sindalan and Calulut, catechism classes every Friday evening. Before he ended his term, Msgr. Canlas facilitated the purchase of an additional cemetery lot for the parish.
Msgr. Abelardo S. Basilio succeeded Msgr. Canlas from 1984 to 1991. It was during his incumbency that the construction of a new rectory and the renovation of the church building were initiated. Both projects became successful because of the support and cooperation of the "Coros" and concerned parishioners. The construction was about to finish when he was assigned to a new parish. With the sustained cooperation of the people, Fr. Resurreccion G. Diwa (1991-1999) finished the construction. The facade of the present church was designed and constructed during his term.
The Present parish priest, Fr. Adrian P. Paule, started his term in 1999 by reorganizing the Parish Pastoral Council and renovating the rectory. But the biggest impact of Fr. Paule’s ministry so far is his pastoral vision that is open to lay participation. Since he began his term, parishioners have been experiencing creative and meaningful pastoral activities leading towards the celebration of the parish’s 90th Foundation Anniversary. Highlights of this renewed pastoral outlook is the construction of the new parish church and the drawing up of an integrated parish pastoral renewal plan, where lay participation has been truly emphasized. The presence of two religious congregations, the St. Paul’s Novitiate (priests and brothers) and the Congregation of the Dominican Sisters of Ilanz has also helped in the pastoral development of the parish. With the phaseout of the Ilanz sisters in Calulut, the local congregation of the Dominican Sisters of Our Lady of Remedies took over the apostolic endeavor started by the former.
Virgen de los Remedios Church (Barangay Baliti) – damaged by recent renovations
Jeosay Shinhongkong Temple (Barangay San Jose)
The Heritage Houses
Hizon-Singian House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
Built in 1870 by the couple Don Anacleto Hizon, gobernadorcillo of San Fernando from 1877-1879 and 1886-1887, and Victoria Singian de Miranda y de Ocampo. Inherited by their daughter Victoria Hizon y Singian who was married to Godofredo Rodriguez y Yabut from Bacolor. It was occupied during the 1896 revolution by Spanish General Antonio Ruiz Serralde, appropriated by the Japanese Imperial Army to serve as a military hospital and barracks from 1943 to 1944, and served as headquarters of American General Walter Krueger of the 6th American Army during the liberation period until the end of 1945. Inherited by their son, the late Gerry Catalino Rodriguez Y Hizon, former president of the Pampanga Sugar Development Company (PASUDECO), who was married to Aurora Angeles. This bahay na bato of the Spanish colonial period was declared a Heritage House by the National Historical Institute on 27 January 2003 by virtue of Resolution No. 4, S. 2003.
Henson-Hizon House (V. Tiomico Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
Built by the couple Saturnino Henson y David, gobernadorcillo of San Fernando from 1882-1883 and 1896, and the first tesorero municipal from 1900-1902, and Maria Lacson. Inherited by their eldest daughter Juana Henson y Lacson who was married to Florentino Hizon. Inherited by their son Vicente Hizon y Henson who was married to Concepcion Dizon y Dayrit. Inherited by their son Vicente Hizon y Dizon who was married to Anastacia de los Reyes. Purchased by the couple Pablo Panlilio y Dayrit and Dolores Argüelles. This bahay na bato of the Spanish colonial period was declared a Heritage House by the National Historical Institute on 27 January 2003 by virtue of Resolution No. 3, S. 2003.
Lazatin House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
Built in 1925 by the couple Serafin Lazatin y Ocampo, sugar farmer and former president of SFELAPCO, and Encarnacion Singian y Torres. It was appropriated by the Japanese Imperial Army during the Second World War to Serve as a residence of the 14th Army Commander of the Japanese Imperial Army, General Masaharu Homma, in San Fernando, Pampanga. This ancestral house, which exemplifies the architecture prevalent during the American colonial period was declared a Heritage House by the National Historical Institute on 27 January 2003 by virtue of Resolution No. 6, S. 2003.
Dayrit-Cuyugan House (MacArthur Highway, Barangay Dolores)
Built in 1920 by the couple Joaquin Dayrit y Singian, sugar farmer, and Maria Paz Cuyugan y de Leon. Inherited by their eldest daughter Luz Dayrit y Cuyugan who was married to Ulderico Rodriguez from Bacolor.
This ancestral house, which exemplifies the architecture prevalent during the American colonial period was declared a Heritage House by the National Historical Institute on 27 January 2003 by virtue of Resolution No. 5, S. 2003.
Consunji House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
Residence of the presidente municipal of San Fernando during the Philippine Revolution, Don Antonio Consunji.
Tabacalera House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
Built by Tabacalera owned by Don Ramon Lopez. The first floor of the house served as the office of Tabacalera. The property was owned by Simeon Ocampo. During the Japanese Occupation, it was sequestered by the Japanese Imperial Army together with other residences in San Fernando, and served as the headquarters of the Kempeitai.
Hizon-Ocampo House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
The first residence of Anacleto Hizon and Victoria Singian de Miranda, it has inherited by their daughter Leoncia Hizon who was married to Basilio Ocampo, gobernadorcillo of San Fernando. Among their children was renowned architect Fernando H. Ocampo.
Santos-Hizon House (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
A turn-of-the-century Victorian-style house was built by the couple Teodoro Santos, Jr. and Africa Ventura, it was later purchased by Maria Salome Hizon, a volunteer of the Red Cross during the Philippine Revolution. The property was acquired by her brother Ramon Hizon and is currently owned by the heirs of his son Augusto Hizon.
Pampanga Hotel (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
Residence of Asuncion Santos, a daughter of Don Teodoro Santos, Sr. (Dorong Tola), who married Andres Eusebio. It was the first site of the Pampanga High School when it first opened. Later became the site of the Harvardian College and the Pampanga Hotel and Panciteria, now Pampanga Lodge and Restaurant.
Archdiocesan Chancery (A. Consunji Street, Barangay San Jose)
Former residence of Luis Wenceslao Dison and Felisa Hizon, it was purchased by the Archdiocese of San Fernando, Pampanga and now being used as the Archdiocesan Chancery.
Historic Government Buildings, Schools, and Hospitals
Municipio of San Fernando (A. Consunji Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
The first casa municipal was built in the present site in 1755 out of stone and thatch. Burned by the Philippine Revolutionary Army on orders of Gen. Antonio Luna, on May 4, 1899. The building was again reconstructed in 1917 during the term of municipal president Antonio Abad Santos. Again burned during the Japanese invasion of the town, the municipal government was temporarily transferred to the residence of Vivencio Cuyugan in Barrio Del Pilar. After the war, the present City Hall of San Fernando was reconstructed using the original adobe stonework.
Pampanga Provincial Capitol (Capitol Boulevard, Barangay Santo Niño)
Seat of government of the Province of Pampanga, the original building was constructed shortly after the provincial capital of Pampanga was transferred from Bacolor to San Fernando in 1904. Annexes were added before the war. It was the site of a major battle between guerilla forces and the Japanese Imperial Army during World War II.
Presidio (Artemio Macalino Street, Barangay Sto. Niño)
Among the buildings built in 1907 when the property of the current Provincial Capitol was acquired. It used to house the courts of Pampanga before serving as the Pampanga Provincial Jail.
Provincial High School Building (Capitol Boulevard, Barangay Santo Niño)
Completed shortly after 1910 it served as the main building of the Pampanga High School until 1935 when it was transferred to its present site. The building was then used as an annex of the school. It also served as the site of the University of the Philippines Extension Program in San Fernando, Pampanga until floods hit San Fernando in 1995.
The beginnings of the Pampanga High School could be traced to the Eusebio Residence located near the town plaza of San Fernando where classes first began in 1908. Due to the lack of students, it was unable to form a senior class until 1911-1912. Its first principal was Mr. John W. Osborn. The school was later moved to this building near the Provincial Capitol in order to accommodate more students.
Old Pampanga High School Building (High School Boulevard, Barangay Lourdes)
The current main building of Pampanga High School was completed in 1935. It follows Standard Plan No. 20 of Gabaldon schoolhouses and is currently being restored as part of the Heritage Schoolhouse Restoration Program of the Department of Education and Heritage Conservation Society. Among its graduates is former President Diosdado P. Macapagal.
San Fernando Elementary School (B. Mendoza Street, Barangay Santo Rosario)
Built in 1907, the main building of the San Fernando Elementary School follows Standard Plan No. 20 of Gabaldon schoolhouses.
Old St. Scholastica’s Academy (Pedro Abad Santos Road, Barangay Sta. Teresita)
The former building of the St. Scholastica’s Academy of Pampanga, the third Benedictine school in the Philippines. Formerly known as the Assumption Academy, it was established in June of 1925 in the house of the Singian family. The first high school was eventually added. In March of 1930, the first secondary graduates of the Assumption Academy were presented.
Due to the large number of enrollees, and the zeal of its biggest benefactor, Monsignor Prudencio David, the school was relocated to its second site in 1931, and ownership of the school was passed on to the Benedictine Sisters in 1938. With the outbreak of World War II, the building was used as a military hospital. In 1966, the school was renamed St. Scholastica’s Academy of Pampanga. The school was transferred to a bigger site in 1972, leaving the old building without occupants.
Pampanga Provincial Hospital (Barangay Dolores)
Built during the American colonial period, it is currently part of the Jose B. Lingad Memorial Regional Hospital.
Virgen de los Remedios Hospital (A. Consunji Street, Barangay San Jose)
Historic Industrial Structures and Sites:
San Fernando Train Station (Barangay Santo Niño)
Inaugurated by Governor-General Eulogio Despujol and Bernardino Nozaleda, Archbishop of Manila, on February 23, 1892. Jose P. Rizal debarked from the station on June 27, 1892 and again the next day en route to Bacolor. During the Death March in April 1942, it was the ending point of the 102-km Bataan Death March, from which Filipino and American prisoners-of-war were carted to Capas, Tarlac en route to their final destination, Camp O’Donnell.
PASUDECO Sugar Central (Capitol Boulevard, Barangay Santo Niño)
In January 1918, a group of prominent Kapampangans gathered at the home of Gov. Honorio Ventura in San Fernando to form an organization that would construct a native-financed central. These included Jose de Leon, Augusto Gonzales, Francisco Liongson, Serafin Lazatin, Tomas Consunji, Francisco Hizon, Jose P. Henson and Manuel Urquico. The organization was formally incorporated in April 1918 as the Pampanga Sugar Development Company.
Finished in March 1921, the PASUDECO Sugar Central was the first Filipino-financed sugar central in Pampanga. Built through the initiative of the Pampanga Sugar Development Company, it was constructed by the Honolulu Iron Works. Its existence became a catalyst for the exponential growth of San Fernando, the capital of the rich sugar-producing province of Pampanga. On July 12, 1939, tragedy struck when Jose de Leon, Augusto Gonzalez, and Constabulary Captain Julian Olivas were gunned down at the administrative offices of PASUDECO. At that time, de Leon and Gonzalez were the two richest men in Pampanga and the biggest PASUDECO shareholders. Together, they had made the central perhaps the most successful and progressively operated one in the archipelago. Today, the PASUDECO Sugar Central stands as a testament to the resiliency of the Kapampangans as a people and their continuous drive towards progress and development. Indeed, the City of San Fernando and the entire Province of Pampanga owe a lot to the PASUDECO Sugar Central.
PASUDECO Staff Houses and Commissary (Capitol Boulevard, Barangay Santo Niño)
Several wooden staff houses and commissaries of PASUDECO still stand in the lot adjacent to the sugar central.
The San Fernando Water Reservoir (Barangay Lourdes)
Referred to as the “Leaning Tower of San Fernando” the San Fernando Water Reservoir was built during the term of municipal president Jose M. Valencia sometime in the 1920s.
The Sugar Pugons (Greenville Subdivision and Barangay Quebiawan)
Calulut Train Station (Barangay Calulut) – heavily damaged by illegal settlers
This wooden station was built during the American colonial period as an additional station along the Manila-Dagupan Railway.
Baluyut Bridge (Gen. Hizon Avenue, Barangay Santo Rosario)
Formerly know as Puente Colgante. Reconstructed in 1896 using iron and stone. Destroyed during the Philippine-American War in 1899. Reinforced concrete arch bridge later designed by Sotero Baluyut for his Bachelor’s thesis in the University of Iowa in 1909.
Witness to the historic events of the Philippine Revolution, Philippine-American War and World War II. Renamed the Sotero Baluyut Bridge in honor of his contributions to the province and the country, serving as governor, Secretary of Public Works and the Interior, and Senator.
The Arcaded Shop Buildings of Consunji Street - 1950s (Barangay Santo Rosario)
Several lantern factories can be visited in Unisite Subdivision, Barangay Del Pilar, as well as in Barangays San Jose and Dolores.
SM City Pampanga - (its west wing spans in Olongapo-Gapan Road, Barangay San Jose in San Fernando; on the other hand, the eastern wing of the mall lies at the same highway (Olongapo-Gapan Road) this time at the nearby town, particularly at Barangay Lagundi, Mexico, Pampanga.
Robinsons Starmills Pampanga - located right in front of SM City Pampanga. Its particular location is in Olongapo-Gapan Road, Barangay Lagundi, Mexico, Pampanga.
MBC-TV Natin: Channel 12
Studio 23: Channel 46