i

Member Login

Home >> Go to the Regions >> Region III Central Luzon >> Tourist Attractions >> Bulacan >> Historical     

Historical

Balagtas Monument
Balagtas, Bulacan
Built in honor of Francisco "Balagtas" Baltazar, Father of Tagalog Poetry, whose masterpiece "Florante at Laura" is very popular.

Biak-na-Bato Cave
San Miguel, Bulacan
Located in the suburbs of San Miguel de Mayumo on the northern tip of Bulacan, Biak-na-Bato became the refuge of the revolutionary army that fled Cavite and Batangas.In the safety of this riverside fortress forged by nature, Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo established the new headquarters of the revolutionary government and, thru Pedro A. Paterno for the revolutionaries and Primo de Rivera for the government of Spain, signed the historic Peace Treaty (Pact of Biak na Bato) in November 1897 which stipulated that the Spanish government shall pay P900,000 in monetary restitution to the non-combatant Filipino families who suffered during the Revolution. Spain promised another P800,000 to be given upon the departure of Aguinaldo and his men to a voluntary exile in Hong Kong, and when the Te Deum was sung at the Manila Cathedral upon which a general amnesty would be proclaimed. Today, hanging bridges and staircases connecting rivers and caves make for a pleasurable exploration.

Bulacan Old Train Station
Guiguinto, Bulacan
Built in 1661, the Estacion de Guiguinto (Guiguinto Train Station) is the towns most acclaimed historical landmark and heritage site. It was upon this site that the Katipuneros (Filipino guerillas during the Spanish Regime) ambushed a train from Dagupan, killing six friars, including the parish friar of Guiguinto, Fr. Leocadio Sanchez, and a Spanish doctor. The incident inspired Severino Reyes to author the novel “Opera Walang Sugat” which was later made into a movie entitled “Walang Sugat.”

Calumpit Bridge
Calumpit, Bulacan
Site of the first battle between Filipino and American soldiers during the retreat of Aguinaldo to the Ilocos Region.

Casa Real Shrine
Malolos City, Bulacan
The shrine was built in 1580 and served as the seat of the government of the town of Malolos during the Spanish and American occupation.It also served as the office of the National Museum and National Printing Press during the first Philippine Republic where the revolutionary organs La Independencia, El Heraldo de la Rovolucion, Kalayaan and Kaibigan ng Bayan were printed. At present, it is a museum and library under the administration of the National Historical Institute. It was restored in 1852.

On December 12, 1888, these young ladies wrote then Governor-General Valeriano Weyler to ask for the establishment of a school, at their own expense, where they could learn Spanish. During Weyler's visit to Malolos, a ball was held in his honor at Casa Real. As daughters of the principalia, the young women were invited to the event. They took advantage of the occasion to personally present their petition to Weyler, who granted their request.

On February 22, 1889 Jose Rizal wrote the women from London commending their courage. The letter was printed in La Solidaridad, the Propaganda Movement's newspaper published in Spain.

The 21 women's pictures and the letter the national hero sent them are found in Casa Real. The shrine also showcases the social milieu in which they were born. Casa Real's structure itself is an example of the bahayna-bato, or stone house, where the Kamestisuhan of Malolos lived in the 19th century. Its interiors display magnificent period furniture, notably pieces inlaid with bone, the signature Bulacan style. There are also example of exquisite Filipino costumes and jewelry typical of the times.

The Shrine also contains two other exhibits. "Eminent Bulakenas" pays tribute to the daughters of Bulacan who have distinguished themselves in their chosen profession. "Filipina Firsts" honors one hundred women from various parts of the country who were the first Filipino women in professional fields or events previously dominated by men.

The Casa Real Shrine is located along the Paseo del Congreso in Malolos, Bulacan. Open for public viewing from Monday to Friday from 8:30 am to 4:30 p.m. For inquiry contact the curator, Mrs. Corazon T. Sitjar, at telephone number +63 44 7912716. (Source: http://www.nhcp.gov.ph/)

De Leon Ancestral Home
San Miguel, Bulacan
The De Leon House, built in 1914, was the home of LVN studio matriarch Dona Sisang de Leon. It still attracts people with its antique furnishings and Old-World feel. The airy two-storey mansion now holds a miraculous century-old statue, "San Miguel and the Devil," which has weathered wars, storms, earthquakes and floods.

Enriquez Ancestral House
Bulacan, Bulacan
Constructed during the 1850s, it is one of the ancestral houses found in San Jose, Bulacan, Bulacan. Some of the documents of Marcelo H. del Pilar were found in this house. It houses a museum of rare antiques and historical artifacts. It is presently owned by acclaimed Filipino food historian Milagros Enriquez.

Gat Marcelo H. Del Pilar Memorial
Bulacan, Bulacan
Shrine and birthplace of the country's great propagandist and hero. Also known by his pen name Plaridel, he founded Diyaryong Tagalog, the country's first bilingual newspaper, and then became editor of the revolutionary organ, La Solidaridad. The patriot, writer and editor is honored with this monument

Gen. Gregorio del Pilar Marker
Bulacan, Bulacan
The site marks the birthplace of Gen. Gregorio del Pilar. The hero of Tirad Pass, born on November 14, 1875, and died December 2, 1899. He is one of the youngest and trusted staff of President Emilio Aguinaldo.

Instituto de Mujeres
Malolos City, Bulacan
The building is the same august hall where twenty (20) determined Malolenas (the so-called Women of Malolos) set up a night school to learn (or improve their) Spanish - a language that was then the gateway to knowledge of the country and of the world. Nationalists and reformists demanded that the language be taught in the schools, instead of being limited to a native and mestizo elite (the women were Chinese mestizas who were progressive and nationalistic). Nationalists like Jose Rizal, M.H. del Pilar and Graciano Lopez-Jaena egged these women to fight for this right. Spanish Governor General Valeriano Weyler eventually approved the holding of classes which begun in February 1899 (classes lasted for only three months). The women carried such surnames as Tiongson, Tantoco, Tanchangco, Aldaba, Reyes and Vitangcoy. (Source: "The Women of Malolos" by Nicanor G. Tiongson, Ateneo University Press, 2004)

Kakarong de Sili Battle Site
Pandi, Bulacan
This shrine marks the battle where about 3,000 Katipuneros led by Maestrong Sebio (Gen. Eusebio Roque) died in the hands of Spanish soldiers in 1897. Maestrong Sebio was able to escape but was captured after a few days. He was summarily tried and executed on Jan. 16, 1897. It features a life-sized statue of Inang Filipina, a symbol of patriotism and nationhood. It is also the site of the Republic of Real de Kakarong de Sili of 1896.

Kamestizuhan Street
Malolos City, Bulacan
A row of ancestral houses that are steep in history: Estrella and Pariancillo Sts. on where stands the Ejercito House which was the Department of War of the First Philippine Republic. On the left side of Pariancillo St. is the Cervantes House which is the Tiongson House with its intricate balustered windows that used to be the Commisaria de Guerra. The Adriano House has been beautifully restored and today serves as the Meralco Building. It was the Gobierno Militar de la Plaza. Just across it is a structure with sealed half-moon balconies that once served as the Carcel or jail. On the left are the ruins that mark the place where Jose Rizal's historic letter To the Women of Malolos was read. The Bautista House, ornately sculpted with neo-classic touches, was the Secretaria de Fomento. The Reyes House with its weather vane and octagonal rose window was the Secretaria de Exterior or Department of Foreign Affairs. Finally, the Convento which served as the Palacio Presidencial de Aguinaldo.

Lipana House
San Miguel, Bulacan
Originally owned by Damaso Sempio and family where Gen. Gregorio Del Pilar once slept.

Mercado House
Bustos, Bulacan
This house in Bustos, Bulacan is one of the several houses used as a fort by the Katipuneros. It boasts of unique architectural designs of stone carvings on its facade and walls and distinct turn-of-the-century Mexican villa air. Truly, a masterpiece of Bulacan artisans

Meyto Shrine
Calumpit, Bulacan
This is the cradle of Christianity in the province, where the first Catholic Mass was held by the Augustinian friars, armed with cross in 1572.

Plaridel Airport
Plaridel, Bulacan
Covering a span of 11 hectares of land is the only existing airport in Bulacan. Constructed by the United States Bureau of Aeronautics in 1935, the runway is a historic landmark as it once became a battleground between the Americans and the Japanese forces during World War II. Together with three Filipino officers, the Americans were able to drive out the enemies from the town.

Siar Tree
Malolos City, Bulacan
Popularly known as Kalayaan Tree or Peltrophorum Pterocarpum, located in the churchyard of Barasoain Church in Malolos City, Bulacan, this tree has been a living witness to many historic events that transpired in the area. It was in Barasoain Church where the three important events of our country took place: The convening of the First Philippine Congress on Sept. 15, 1898; the promulgation of the Philippine Constitution, popularly known as the Malolos Constitution on Jan. 21,1899; and the inauguration of the First Republic on Jan. 23, 1899, establishing the Philippines as the first democratic country in Asia. It was under the Siar tree where Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo found temporary refuge. Revolutionary field officers waited under its shade to see the general and report on the battles won and lost by the revolutionaries. It was planted by President Aguinaldo during a lull in the Malolos Convention.

Tecson Ancestral House
San Miguel, Bulacan
Three sons of original owners were all officers of the revolutionary army of Gen. Emilio Aguinaldo. For sometime, this house was used as the headquarters of Aguinaldo. The house is now owned by Mr. and Mrs. Cenen Mendiola. Simon Tecson is the original owner.

Torch of Freedom Marker
Dona Remedios Trinidad, Bulacan
Marker for one of the base camps of the guerillas during World War II.

Viola House
San Miguel, Bulacan
The original owner is Dr. Maximo Viola, a companion of Dr. Jose Rizal in Europe while Rizal was writing his famous two novels: El Filibusterismo and Noli Me Tangere.He was known to have financed the printing of the Noli Me Tangere. A doctor and a municipal councilor (d. September 3, 1933).






 

Viewing 1 - 1 of 1  
 [1] 

Announcement

CloseNo events foundsss.