Prior to the coming of the Spaniards in 1571, Mindoro was already known to the Chinese merchants who plied the seas to conduct commerce on the South China Sea route. Trading existed between the area and China, on the eastern part of the island. Miguel Lopez de Legaspi discovered the island in 1569. Goiti, as master of camp, sailed to Mindoro on May 8, 1570 and encountered the Chinese merchants. They transacted business with the islanders, to the amazement of the Spaniards. There were also signs of Hindu and pagan influence that thrived in the island.
The conquest of Mindoro began in 1570 in the district of Mamburao, when Juan de Salcedo subjugated the inhabitants in the name of Spain. The early names of Mindoro were Mai and Mina de Oro. Mindoro is a contraction of the Spanish description of the phrase which meant gold mine. Although there were no major gold discovery, panners and Mangyans which are people of indigenous communities have found gold in small quantities in the rivers of Baco, Binaybay, Bongabong, and Magasawan Tubig. In 1902, the island of Lubang was annexed to Mindoro, which gained provincehood in 1921.
In 1950, the island was divided into two separate and autonomous province through Republic Act No. 505, designating the eastern portion of the island as Oriental Mindoro with Calapan now a city as capital, and western part as Occidental Mindoro with Mamburao as its capital.
Total Land Area : 587,980 hectares
Population : 380,250 (NSO 2000)
1. Abra de Ilog
10. San Jose
11. Sta Cruz
Capital : Mamburao
November to April - dry season
May to October - wet season
By air – Zest Air : daily flights from Manila to San Jose
Flying time is 45 minutes
By sea : inter-island vessels serve the province from Batangas Pier to
Abra de Ilog ( 21/2 hours and San Jose (16 hours);
Province-wide, public utility vehicles such as buses, jeepneys and tricycles ferry the commuters to points of destination.