Member Login

search by:
 Google  |  VisitMyPhilippines 
Home >> Go to the Regions >> Region NCR National Capital Region >> Tourist Attactions >> Marikina City     

Marikina City


Marikina River Park
Spurred by the death of natural resources resulting from the continuous growth in residential areas, the City of Marikina took pains in rehabilitating and converting the 220 ha. Marikina River into a sports and recreational park.

Jesus dela Peņa Chapel
One of the old churches of Marikina built in honor of the Infant Child Jesus.

Tuazon Entertainment Zone
The Tuazon Entertainment zone is a one-kilometer stretch of entertainment centers to include sing-along bars, restaurants, and cafes located at the heart of the city.

Doll Museum
Located inside Kapitan Moy, the Doll Museum houses an impressive collection of Patio Tesoro Nenita dolls where historic events of Marikina are depicted in dioramas.

Teatro Marikina
Opened last December 2002, Teatro Marikina is the manifestation of the city's commitment to the development of culture and arts. This facility caters to various events such as plays, concerts, shows, graduations, exhibits and seminars.

Amscor Shooting Range
The Arms Corporation (the biggest manufacturer of guns and ammunition in the Philippines) has developed a portion of its premises into a shooting range of international standard, an alternative venue for national and international shooting competitions in the country.

Animal Trail
One kilometer footpath with concrete replicas of animals where children can both learn and have fun.

Riverbanks Center
A 14-hectare property located along A. Bonifacio Ave., formerly occupied by UTEX, now the Central Business District of the City.

Our Lady of Lourdes Grotto
The River Park's haven of the religious, particularly Marian devotees.

Our Lady of the Abandoned Church
Built by the Augustinians in the 1700s, it was destroyed by two earthquakes in 1816 and 1880 and by fire in 1891. it has undergone years of renovation since 1963.

Marikina Sports Center
Marikina was the fulcrum of regional and national sports events when it was still a part of the province of Rizal. It was the training ground to some of the best athletes the country has ever produced. It gained prominence in being the home base of the then de-meddle BLU GIRLS (National Softball Team).

Shoe Museum
The former Bigasang Bayan of Marikina, rehabilitated and converted into a museum. The only shoe repository, existing in the country, it houses a notable shoe collection to include some 778 pairs belonging to the former First Lady Imelda R. Marcos. The museum is a showcase not only of the premier product of Marikina but also of the industriousness and ingenuity of the Marikeņos.

Biggest Shoe in the World
Displayed at the Riverbanks Mall gallery, the biggest shoe in the World is certified by the Guiness Book of World Records measuring 5.29 meters long and 2.37 meters wide. It is made of genuine leather and took 72 days to finish. The shoe can be worn by a 125 ft.-tall person fit 30 people inside. The leather material used can produce 250 regular pairs of shoes.

San Isidro Labrador Church
The first mass in Jesus dela Peņa was held in this church on April 16, 1630 conducted by Father Pedro de Arce, then Bishop of Manila. The mass was celebrated by the Jesuits who discovered a small image of Jesus, which was then worshiped by the people of Jesus dela Peņa.

The Cows in the Dairy Farm
Located at the Evolution Park of Brgy. Marikina Heights where 18 sculptured cows stand as a marker of Marikina's expanse of grazing farmland formerly owned by the illustrious Tuazon Clan.

River Carabaos
Marikina was considered as the largest private hacienda in the Philippines during the early years of Spanish colonization. Its residents were comprised mostly of farmers whose main crops were rice and vegetables. The town folks had bountiful harvest enabling each family to own more than two carabaos, even a dozen or so. At the time, to possess several carabaos served as a symbol of progress for the town and wealth for the families. From stories and accounts of old owners, the Marikina city government traced the old carabao trail which was the regular route taken from their owner's homes to the fields and vice versa. About 28 stone built carabaos were placed in the path along the riverbanks of Kalumpang serving as an attraction and as a marker of the once scenic and abundant Marikina farmland.

The Chinese Pagoda
The greater part of the populace of Marikina during the mid-1700s were Mestizo de Sangley (Chinese Mestizo). They came to Marikina upon the invitation of the Jesuits to help in establishing a hacienda which was named after the patron saint of farmers, San Isidro de Labrador. Similarly, the patriarch of the most illustrious clan in the town, Don Antonio Tuason, was a wealthy Chinaman from Binondo, Manila. He was believed to be Sontua (presumably, the Sino-Version of the Tuason name meaning "eldest son") whose wealth has helped provide a battalion for the Spanish was with the British who ventured to get the Philippines from Spain. The Tuazon's property from Manila grew when they bought from the Jesuits their properties here in Marikina which came to be known as Hacienda se Mariquina. Undoubtedly, the Chinese were part of the lineage that formed the history of the present day-Marikina. Chinese Chamber of Commerce had the Chinese Pagoda constructed along the Marikina riverbanks as a commemoration of the roots of Marikeņos.

The Roman Garden
When tracing back the history of Marikina, one can never overlook the contributions of Christianity. On April 16, 1630, The Society of Jesus inherited the ecclesiastical control of the Marikina area and established a mission village. It was told that the Jesuits found an image of the Infant Jesus among the boulders of rocks along the banks of the local river. Thus, on these boulders, the priests built a chapel and christened the center of the village, Jesus dela Peņa (Jesus of the Rock). The site, where the Marikina Zonta Club built the Roman Garden in 1998, is believed to be the spot where the icon of Jesus was seen. The Garden also serves as an honor to Marikina Christian residents who comprised a large number in the city.

Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina (Kapitan Moy Building)
The old Kapitan Moy building now named Sentrong Pangkultura ng Marikina was constructed in 1780 by Don Jose Guevarra whose family owns "Asyenda Tyason". This old house is not only a structure of nails and adobe, it is an edifice that links us to the past because of the historical events that became known here. In 1887, the first shoe in Marikina was made here. Supreme Andres Bonifacio of the Katipunan once visited the place; and American soldiers made it a camp in 1901.

JAPS Shoe Factory
One of the oldest shoe factories of Marikina owned by Mr. Florentino Santiago which has been in business for the past 35 years. The factory serves a a one-stop shop for all visitors of the city and one of the many worthwhile projects of the Marikina City Tourism Council.

EDA Bag Factory
It is located along the Riverpark at the back of Chinese pagoda where one can buy quality bags at the most reasonable prices.

Natalia Bag Factory
One of Marikina's noted bag factories owned and managed by the enterprising Muriel Family with belts as their original products. After several years of venture, the business started to manufacture products for local as well as international market. The factory is located at 36 Gumamela St. Sampaguita Village Malanday Marikina City.


Viewing 1 - 1 of 1  


CloseNo events foundsss.