Home >> Go to the Regions >> Invest Now! >> Frequently Asked Questions on Passport Services    
Frequently Asked Questions on Passport Services

Reference: http://www.philippineconsulate-sf.org/passport.htm#1

Passport Services

1. Who can apply for a Philippine Passport?

Only citizens of the Republic of the Philippines are entitled to a Philippine passport.

Former Filipino nationals who are naturalized citizens of foreign countries are no longer entitled to use or renew their Philippine passports as they are considered to have lost their Philippine citizenship.

Those who have acquired foreign citizenship by naturalization but have reacquired Philippine citizenship upon taking the oath of allegiance to the Republic (Dual Citizens) are entitled to a Philippine passport, subject to the requirements of R.A. 8239 (The Philippine Passport Law).

In the interest of national security, public safety and public health, a consular officer may refuse to issue a passport, restrict its use or withdraw or cancel a passport. In view of the need to determine an applicant’s citizenship, a consular officer may require an applicant to present a valid document of foreign residency i.e., a US Permanent Resident Card.

2. What do I need to renew my Philippine Passport?

Each applicant must appear in person at the Consulate and bring with them the following:

Duly accomplished passport application form
Most recent Philippine passport
One (1) copy of the passport data page(s)

For brown passports – copy the pages which show the data and picture of the applicant

Two (2) identical passport size (1.77" x1.37") photographs, colored with white background, taken within six (6) months of filing the application for renewal of passport.
If the applicant’s last passport is the brown one – which only shows the applicant’s middle initial, – a copy of any VALID IDENTIFICATION which shows his/her WHOLE MIDDLE NAME must also be provided. Acceptable forms of identification are:

Birth Certificate
Marriage Certificate
Baptismal Certificate
State ID or Driver License, or
Permanent Resident Card (Green Card)
First time applicants must also bring the original and a copy of
NSO certified Birth Certificate, if born in the Philippines; or
Report of Birth, if born outside the Philippines (Please see requirements for Report of Birth)
The fee for the issuance of a passport is $50.00 for a 32-page passport or $60.00 for a 64-page passport. Accepted forms of payment are cash, money order, cashier’s check or bank draft made payable to the Philippine Consulate General. Personal checks, credit or debit cards are not accepted. All consular service fees are non-refundable.

3. I am now a dual citizen ... how can I obtain a Philippine passport?
Dual citizens who opt to apply for a new Philippine passport should present the original and submit a copy of the following:

Duly accomplished passport application form
Two (2) identical passport size (1.77”x1.37) photographs (colored, with white background) taken within six (6) months before filing application for new passport
Philippine passport or NSO certified birth certificate
Oath of Allegiance
For minor children, Report of Birth and Order of Approval of Filipino parent indicating child’s name as derivative
The fee is also $50.00 for 32-page passport or $60.00 for 64-page passport.

4. I lost my current passport… what do I need to get a new passport?

To apply for a replacement of lost passport, the applicant(s) has to appear in person at the Consulate and bring the following:

Duly accomplished passport application form
Two (2) identical passport size (1.77”x1.37) photographs (colored, with white background) taken within six (6) months before filing application for replacement of lost passport
Copy of the data page of passport, if available
Original and one (1) copy of NSO Certified Birth Certificate
Notarized Affidavit of Loss, which should also include the following information:
Date and place where the lost passport was issued
Circumstances on how the passport was lost
Reason(s) for applying for a replacement passport
Copies of state ID or driver license, permanent resident alien card, or any other valid photo identification.
A communication fee of $10.00 is paid upon submission of the application. A fifteen day waiting period is also required for clearance from the Department of Foreign Affairs before the replacement passport can be issued.
After the waiting period has lapsed, the applicant should return to the Consulate and pay a fee of $90.00 for the issuance of the replacement passport.

The fifteen day waiting period is not strictly observed if the lost passport was issued by the Consulate in San Francisco and if the record is available. After it has been verified that the passport was indeed issued by the Consulate, the applicant would only need to submit the requirements for application of a replacement passport and pay $90.00

5. What if the applicant is unable to appear in person at the Consulate to file his or her renewal?

First time applicants for a new passport and/or those applying for replacement of a lost passport MUST appear in person at the Consulate to file his or her application.
If a person applying for a passport renewal cannot appear in person at the Consulate, they may authorize a representative to submit the application papers provided that the application form is notarized.

Forms that are not notarized may still be accepted if the representatives are directly related to the applicant (i.e. a parent, spouse, sibling, son or daughter of the applicant). However, acceptance of the application is still at the discretion of the Consular Officer in charge, and proof of the representative’s relation to the applicant will be needed.

6. Can I renew a US Passport at the Philippine Consulate?

The Consulate only processes and issues Philippine Passports.
Visit the local US Passport Agency Office or local US Postal Service Office for more information on renewing or obtaining a new US passport.

Passport Errors & Amendments

7. Errors

If there is an error in the data on my current passport, can I get it corrected?
If there is any error that needs to be corrected in your current passport, inform our personnel on duty of the error, present your original NSO certified Birth Certificate and submit a copy with your passport application.

If the error is typographical, present both current and previous passports and the necessary correction will be made free of charge, provided that, it is done within six (6) months after its issuance and the passport remains unused.

8. Amendments:

I already have my new passport or it was just recently issued, but I need to change one or more of the data entries… can I still get the entry corrected or changed?
Depending on what may need to be changed or corrected, you may only need to accomplish a Passport Amendment form and present the original and copy of the applicant’s NSO Certified Birth Certificate and other supporting documents. Otherwise, you might have to apply for a new passport.

Amendments apply only to:

Change of surname due to marriage, annulment of marriage, divorce, or death of spouse
Change of surname of a legitimated child by virtue of a subsequent marriage of parents.
The requirements for Amendment of Passport are original and a copy of:
For married woman:

NSO issued Marriage certificate (if married in the Philippines) or Report of Marriage (if married abroad)

For woman separated from husband:

Decree with finality of annulment of marriage, divorce decree, or death certificate of deceased husband, whichever is applicable.
Annotated NSO-issued marriage certificate

For legitimated child:

Marriage certificate of parents, original birth certificate and amended birth certificate of the legitimated child.

Our personnel on duty would have to determine if any entry can be amended before accepting any application.

The fee for Passport Amendment is $20.00

9. Amendment of Surname Due to Marriage:

I would like to use my married name in my passport, …

My marriage took place in the Philippines. What do I need to submit for my new surname to be reflected on my new passport?

Submit a duly accomplished passport application form and the original and a copy of the following documents:

Marriage Certificate certified by NSO
If applicant had a previous marriage which ended as a result of a death of the previous husband, Death Certificate of deceased husband certified by NSO
If previous marriage was annulled, Annotated NSO-issued Marriage Certificate.
My marriage took place here in the USA. What do I need to submit to reflect my married name on my new passport?
Submit a Report of Marriage form with the passport application. The requirements for filing the report are:
Three (3) original duly accomplished Report of Marriage forms and original and three (3) copies of:
Certified Copy of Marriage Certificate
NSO Certified Birth Certificate of the female applicant
Photo identification of both husband and wife
Certified copy of Death Certificate of previous husband or divorce papers (if applicable)
If the applicant’s previous marriage ended as a result of a divorce filed by her, she cannot use her current married name for a Philippine passport, since divorce is not recognized under Philippine law. A new passport may only be issued under the name reflected in the current passport. The Consulate may instead issue a Certificate of One and the Same Person indicating both of the names used by the applicant and an explanation of why the new passport cannot reflect her current married name. The requirements for the

Certification are also listed below

The fee for filing a Report of Marriage is $25.00, in addition to the passport renewal or amendment fee.

The requirements for a Certificate of One and the Same Person are:

Two (2) copies of the divorce papers
Two (2) copies of identification cards showing the applicant’s previous and current names
The fee for the Certification is $25.00, in addition to the passport renewal fee.

10. Different Name in Green Card

My “Green Card” still reflects my maiden name, and I need to travel out of the country immediately. Would that be a problem for me at the immigration?

The Consulate can also issue a Certificate of One and the Same Person for this purpose.

To obtain a new Permanent Resident Alien Card or “Green Card”, contact the Bureau of US Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly known as the Immigration and Naturalization Service or INS). Visit their website at: www.uscis.gov/


11. How do I get an NSO Certified Birth Certificate?

If the National Statistics Office has the record on file, you can order one from them online at:

Otherwise, the applicant may have to file a Delayed Registration of Birth at the municipality or town in the Philippines where he or she was born.

For more information on how to file a Delayed Registration of Birth, go to: www.census.gov.ph/

To contact the National Statistics Office, visit: www.census.gov.ph/data/aboutnso/centralofcs.html

12. Can a child born here in the USA still obtain a Philippine Passport?

After the 1973 Constitution, if at least one of the child’s biological parents is still a Filipino citizen at the time of his/her birth, he/she is a Filipino citizen under Philippine law. He/She may also obtain a Philippine Passport after the parent(s) file a Report of Birth with an accomplished passport application form.

To file a Report of Birth and to apply for the child’s Philippine passport, the following documents are required:

Three (3) original duly accomplished Report of Birth forms and original and three (3) copies of:
The Child’s Birth Certificate
Data pages of the Filipino parent’s Philippine passport
The parents’ Marriage certificate
For Reports of birth filed more than 12 months after the child’s birth, an original and two copies of notarized Affidavit of Delayed Registration must also be submitted.
Accomplished passport application form and two (2) passport size photos
At least one of the Filipino parents and the child must be present at the Consulate when filing the application.
The fee for filing a Report of Birth is $25.00, in addition to the passport application fee.

13. Can I mail in my applications papers?
Only applications for passport renewal or amendments, and Reports of Birth or Marriage are accepted by mail, provided that all forms are fully accomplished and notarized, and all requirements are complete. Send all the forms and requirements to:

The Consulate General of the Philippines
Attn: Passport Section
447 Sutter Street 6th Flr.
San Francisco, CA 94108

Payment for mailed in applications can be made only by money order, cashier’s check or bank draft made payable to the Philippine Consulate General. Personal Checks are not accepted. DO NOT SEND CASH.

The applicants are advised to send their application papers through USPS Express mail. DO NOT SEND CASH or any additional payment for return shipping – instead, provide a self-addressed return envelope with sufficient postage stamps for USPS Express mail next day delivery. The Consulate will not be responsible or liable for any documents lost or damaged in transit and cannot pay for any charges for return shipping.

14. How long does it take to process an application?

Walk-in applicants who submit applications before 12:00 noon can pick up their documents by 4:30 pm of the same day; applications submitted after 12:00 noon will be ready by 4:30 pm of the following work day

Mailed-in applications take 1 to 2 days to process, in addition to transit times.

For Replacement of a Lost Passport, see section 4.

Additional Information

15. Can I refund payments made for a consular service?

All fees made to the Consulate for a consular service are non-refundable. A corresponding receipt is issued for all payments made.

16. If I have any more questions regarding any of the above matters, who can I contact at the Consulate?

Contact the Passport Section of the Consulate at (415) 433-6666 extension 315, 317 or 340, from Mondays to Fridays (except on US and Philippine Holidays), between 9:00 am and 5:00 pm. You may also fax in your inquiries through (415) 421 2641 or send an e-mail to [email protected]

Viewing 1 - 1 of 1  


Visitors Statistics
Ads posted:

Members registered:
Members view all ads:
Visitor Hits:

 Yahoo  |  VisitMyPhilippines   


Featured Events
Coco Festival
Festival is held on December 8, San Teodoro, Oriental Mindoro. A religious festival honoring the Imm ...
Sandugo Festival
Bohol’s annual commemoration of the Blood Compact between Rajah Sikatuna and Miguel Lopez de Legazpi ...
Paskuhan sa Imus
Held in December, Imus, Cabite, the event is a month-long festival which celebrates our unique Phili ...
Higantes Festival
Held on November 23 in Angono, Rizal, the event is Angono’s joyous fiesta in honor of San Clemente w ...
Kaaldawan Iraya
Held on October 12 in Puerto Galera, Oriental Mindoro, the event is also dubbed as “Araw ng Katutubo ...


Featured Destinations
Sta. Cruz Island
Great Sta. Cruz Island Known for its pinkish sand beach which gets its unique hue from coral bits w ...
Pasonanca Park
Pasonanca 7 kms. from the city, accessible byjeepneys and tricycles Located in an area elevated 50 ...
Homonhon Island
HOMONHON ISLAND Location: Southeast of Guiuan, 60 nautical miles from Tacloban. Description: Tiny ...
Nagarao Island Resort
Nagarao Island Resort Jordan Located at the southern tip of Guimaras; surrounded with sandy beach ...
Boracay Island
BORACAY ISLAND Malay Paradise Island of the Philippines. It is world-famous for its fine and lovel ...
Calendar of Events
June - 2010

Weather Forecast